Saturday 4 February 2012

how I got started (part one)

It was the fall of  1980ish when my parents met at the bright age of twelve---just kidding, this post is about how I got started with Lemons and Blueberries; though my parents did meet at a bright, young age, I wanted to tell you more about the how's and why's of my craft business. So, get cozy and a cup of whatever-you-like, we'll be here for a bit. ;)

Creating things began about fifteenish years ago, when my parents made the decision to educate us girly girls at home (though I was coloring and playing dress-up long before then); what started off as a decision to keep me home for health reasons (I was a pretty pathetic asthmatic child) turned into a desire to give us a better, wholesome educated; something in which we could learn at our own pace, avoid the influences of playground conversation, and most importantly, being taught to fear and honor the Lord. All of this gave my sisters and I opportunities to color, read, play, and learn in different ways. We tearfully persevered through mathmatics, thrived in Literature and History, and learned to be excited about the Sciences; we went on countless field trips (from blood banks to donut shops),  wrote many reports and papers, gained much book and head knowledge, read thousands of books, spent a semester pretending we were Laura Ingalls volunteering as reenacter's, and whenever we had the slightest opportunity, we rode horses and swam until it grew dark. Additionally, my Dad spent much time teaching us to prioritize our time, use it well, and make the most of our opportunities; he signed us up for art fairs, sports, and all sorts of things we thought we didn't want to do---later learning that we loved it (I'm the only one who didn't do well in any kind of sport, no surprise). At very young ages, he and my Mama encouraged us to get out of our routines and try new things; sometimes it was fun and other times we came home dejected and tired. When I was twelve, we moved to Germany for about six months---it was one of the best sixth months of our lives (remember, I was only twelve). We learned German, walked everywhere, gained appreciation for a plethora of new things, and grew so much closer together as a family. That trip is probably what awakened our gypsy-like love for traveling and going to new places. :) How does this all connect with Lemons and Blueberries? It definitely got me started with the character aspects of a business; anyone can sell their craft and make a few bucks (that's U.S. dollars for you international readers), but to create a sustainable, lasting business one requires more. I've learned that planning, prioritizing, diligent work, and sound wisdom from others can make all the difference; and looking back, I can see how my parents prepared me by instilling these habits and character qualities from a young age. Now, making the transition from a hobby to actually making a selling a product was a bit of a challenge but...

And that concludes this part of the story! Tune in Monday for part two!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin